New Delhi, July 18: Presidential elections to vote for India’s 15th President will take place Monday from 10 am to 5 pm. facing off are the BJP-led NDA’s candidate, Droupadi Murmu, and the joint Opposition candidate Yashwant Sinha.
Here are a few crucial matters to know about this Presidential election:
- An overall of 4,809 contributors of the Electoral College comprising MPs and MLAs will decide on the successor to incumbent President Ram Nath Kovind. As of 2022, the Electoral College incorporates 776 MPs (Members of Parliament) and 4,033 MLAs (Members of Legislative Assembly).
- In the presidential election, contributors of the Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, and kingdom legislatures solid their votes. At present, there are 233 MPs withinside the 245-member Rajya Sabha.
- According to Election Commission’s directions, even as MPs get a green-colored ballot paper, the MLAs gets a red ballot paper to solid vote. Separate colors assist the returning officer to confirm the cost of vote of every MLA and MP.
- The votes are weighted, and their cost is decided with the aid of using the populace of every kingdom as in line with Census 1971. The cost of every MLA’s vote varies from an excessive of 208 in Uttar Pradesh to a low of seven in Sikkim. This method that UP’s 403 MLAs make a contribution of 208 × 403 = 83,824 votes to the electoral pool, even as Sikkim’s 32 MLAs make a contribution of 32 × 7 = 224 votes. The weighted votes from all the Assemblies add up to 5.43 lakh.
- The manner needs that the 776 MPs (543 in Lok Sabha, 233 in Rajya Sabha) must make a contribution to the equal overall of votes because of the MLAs. Thus, the cost of every MP’s vote is 5.43 lakh divided with the aid of using 776, rounded off to 700. The mixed electoral pool from the Assemblies and Parliament upload as much as 10.86 lakh.
- President Ram Nath Kovind’s five-yr time period ends on July 24, and as in line with Article 62 of the Constitution, an election for the subsequent president needs to be held earlier than the crowning glory of the incumbent’s time period.
Who is likely to win the presidential election?
According to statistics, Draupadi Murmu, who’s supported with the aid of using the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), is anticipated to win the elections easily.
Also Read: Presidential polls: Droupadi Murmu has easy edge over Yashwant Sinha| Here are the Top 10 things to know
Murmu, the previous governor of Jharkhand, stated she turned positive about having the assistance of all of the MLAs and MPs from Odisha cutting across party lines because the daughter of the soil. A tribal leader who has worked her way to the top, Murmu said she was both surprised and delighted on learning on television that she had been nominated for the top job by the NDA.
She stated the NDA authorities have now confirmed the BJP’s slogan of “Sab Ka Saath, Sab Ka Biswas,” with the aid of using deciding on a tribal girl for the pinnacle post.
On the opposite hand, Yashwant Sinha, a former Union minister, has been selected with the aid of using the competition. Sinha accepted the nomination and stated that it was time for him to leave party politics behind and strive for a more comprehensive national goal and improved opposition cohesion.
In the final election, the Opposition fielded former Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar in opposition to Kovind. She had the assistance of 17 Opposition events however the JD (U) was selected to assist Kovind. Kovind bagged 7,02,044 votes, and Kumar 3,67,314.
The counting of votes will take location at Parliament House on July 21 and the subsequent President will take oath on July 25.