New Delhi, July 25: Droupadi Murmu took oath as India’s 15th President on Monday. The ceremony of assumption of office took place in the Central Hall of Parliament. Chief Justice of India (CJI) NV Ramana administered the oath of the office of the President to her.
On July 21, the 64-year-old scripted history by becoming the first tribal leader to be elected to the highest constitutional post in the country. She is the youngest – the first President to be born after Independence. She is also the second woman to become the President.
Here are the updates:
- Addressing Parliament, President Droupadi Murmu says, “I am the first President of the country who was born in independent India. We will have to speed up our efforts to meet the expectations that our freedom fighters had with the citizens of independent India.”“Reaching the Presidential post is not my personal achievement, it is the achievement of every poor in India. My nomination is evidence that the poor in India can not only dream but also fulfill those dreams,” the President added.
- President Droupadi Murmu receives thunderous applause at the Central Hall of the Parliament.
- After taking oath as 15th President of India, Droupadi Murmu said, “Standing in Parliament — the symbol of expectations, aspirations, and rights of all Indians — I humbly express my gratitude to all of you. Your trust and support will be a major strength for me to carry out this new responsibility.”
- Droupadi Murmu becomes the 15th President of India. She is the second woman President of the country, the first-ever tribal woman to hold the highest Constitutional post and the first President to be born in independent India.
- Celebration going on in Odisha as Droupadi Murmu has become India’s second woman President of the country, the first-ever tribal woman to hold the highest Constitutional post
- President-elect Droupadi Murmu and outgoing President Ram Nath Kovind arrived at the Parliament.
- Outgoing President Ram Nath Kovind and President-elect Droupadi Murmu leave Rashtrapati Bhavan for the Parliament.
- President-elect Droupadi Murmu on Monday paid homage to the ‘Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi at Rajghat in the national capital.
- President-elect Droupadi Murmu leaves her residence, for Rajghat. Later today, she will take oath as the 15th President of the country in the Central Hall of Parliament.